Teaching and Training
Invitation to the Swansea College of Art Glass Conference and
Opening of the Glass Beacon
11 March 2016
We are pleased to invite you to our upcoming glass conference. We have a great line up of speakers and are delighted to be hosting Dr Nicola Bowe who will introduce her current research into the life and work of the Irish glass artist Wilhelmina Geddes.
The event will mark the Welsh launch of her recently published and highly regarded book on the subject. The book will be available to buy at the specially discounted conference rate of £5 off the list price.
The event will also mark the opening, of the ‘Glass Beacon’, a recently installed, contemporary large-scale architectural glass commission which involved staff, students and alumni of the Glass department. The Beacon will be opened by Professor Medwin Hughes, Vice Chancellor of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
Dr. Nicola Gordon Bowe is Associate Fellow at the Faculty of Visual Culture, National College of Art and Design in Dublin; Visiting Professor, School of Art and Design Research Institute at the University of Ulster; and Honorary Research Fellow, University of Wales. She has published and lectured widely on aspects of the early twentieth century Arts and Crafts Movement and the Celtic Revival, on the revival of stained glass as an art form, on contemporary craft expression and on wom
en in the arts. She has also broadcast on Irish and British television and radio. Dr. Bowe is an Honorary Fellow of the Glass Society of Ireland and the British Society of Master Glass Painters. Her most recent publications include a revised and updated edition of her seminal biography Harry Clarke: The Life and Work, and a biography of Ulster-born stained glass and graphic artist Wilhelmina Geddes, published by The Four Courts Press, Dublin in 2015. This latest work, ‘Wilhelmina Geddes: Life and Work’ is the Times Literary Supplement choice for ‘Book of the Year’ and Sunday Times’ choice for ‘Best Irish Art Book of the Year’.
- Alun Adams, Architectural Glass Centre Co-ordinator, UWTSD
- Rodney Bender, Research Fellow, UWTSD and glass practitioner at Innovative Glass Products
- Catherine Brown, Programme Director, BA Glass Contemporary Practice
- Lisa Burkl, Programme Director, BA Glass Architectural Arts
- Martin Crampin, Research Fellow at University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth; and practitioner
- Dr Shelley Doolan, Senior Research Associate, UWTSD; and glass practitioner
- Marilyn Griffiths, MPhil, Lecturer UWTSD
- Dr Tyra Oseng-Rees, Senior Research Associate, UWTSD
- Rachel Phillips, Lecturer UWTSD; and glass practitioner
9.30 Session 1: Current Applied Glass Arts Research
13.30 Beacon Opening
14.30 Session 2 Keynote Speaker: Dr Nicola Gordon Bowe
15.30 Book sales and signing
Conference fee: £10 Click here to book
Lunch and refreshments will be provided
Venue: University of Wales Trinity Saint David, The Alex Design Exchange, Alexandra Road, Swansea SA1 5DU
Sorry, no items were found